Thursday, May 6, 2010

Concluding Statement

There was so much information that we learned in this class that I do not honestly know where to start. I liked the definition that you gave us of postmodernism which says that we live in a world of contradiction and instability. This is so true when you think about it because even with issues that most of us think are black and white, such as abortion, there are always grey areas. For example, if a women was raped should they be able to have an abortion? Everything always contradicts itself within our society today. There is no set way of doing anything no guide book in which to set our lives by.
Theatre has always been a big part of my life because I love it and being apart of it. I think that everyone should experience it at least a little bit. When I was reading through my classmates work for this particular blog, I have been noticing that so many people have never been involved with theatre at all. This shocks me for some reason because I always just assumed that people were involved and understood music and musicals. I think that being involved with music in general can help you to become a better and more well rounded person. I know it helped me be more responsible and disciplined, I just wish everyone could experience it and what it has done for me and my life.
Although many students in this class were not apart of theatre and did not understand how it fully worked before, many of them said that taking this class has helped them a lot in these aspects. I think that to have students understand how theatre can impact your life on such a great scale, and from an online class nonetheless, is pretty amazing. I think it was really awesome how the kids in this class have realize what theatre has and can do for them within their own lives, and what it has done with others. No one will they see people who love musicals as “weird” or “geeky,“ hopefully now they will give them a better chance and no judge them based on what their passions are. Now if there was just a class that could teach the musical students not to judge the sports jocks as much, I think high schools could be a better place for students to get along. This class really helped me to see that we are all actors and actresses and we are all always acting. No matter where we are or what we are doing we are always entertaining someone or trying to be to be a certain someone, other wise known as, acting. Every time, for the majority of the time, that we are around anyone, whether we are putting on a presentation or in front of our closest friends, we are acting.
Even with my history of being involved in theatre this class still taught me so much in the world of theatre. When you are involved in a musical and even when you are watching one, you forget all of the work that goes into making the production possible. For example, you never think of all the hard work that the director actually does. They are the ones who have to take everyone’s needs and wants into accordance of the whole production; lighting, sound, visuals, acting, singing, dancing, costumes, set, etc. Directors have to deal with scheduling all of the endless rehearsals, deal with everyone whining to them about everything pointless, and dealing with all of the publicity and getting the shows name out there in order for people to come to it.
To be honest this class made me realize how much I truly love and appreciate the arts. Being in band since fourth grade and choir since fifth, you never realize when you are in it that it is shaping your life. I have such as huge passion for music and I did not even know that I had it, as crazy as that sounds. I only realized it now because I am not doing it anymore and this class brought all of that to my attention very quickly. Art in general is a huge, or should be a huge part of everyone’s life. Even paintings, there are so many people who enjoy drawing and are very talented at it, but do not even realize it. It changes you in the deepest ways possible and it can help you throughout many troubling times in your life, especially music, and I think anyone can attest to that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment