Sunday, April 25, 2010

Broadway

The show that is playing on Broadway at this point in time would have to be the Celtic Women. Celtic Women is a group of about six or so women who sing Celtic music, mostly soprano songs that are ritualistic by incorporating the Irish elements of music and dance. This group was originally put together by David Downes in 2004. This group did come to Pittsburgh in March of 2010, but I was unable to attend because I am a stereotypical college student who is poor. I love the Celtic Women because they put a modern twist to songs that are older, such as “Danny Boy.” My favorite number, by far, that the Celtic Women perform would be “Sing Out.” I love this song so much, it makes me want to literally sing the song out loud. Everyone that knows me fairly well has listened to this song because I have made them at one point or another.
The main performers who started in the Celtic Women were five Irish female artists who had not previously performed together: vocalists Chloë Agnew, Órla Fallon, Lisa Kelly and Méav Ní Mhaolchatha, and fiddler Máiréad Nesbitt. Over the years, some of the group's members have changed; in 2009, the group consisted of Chloë Agnew, Lynn Hilary, Lisa Kelly, Alex Sharpe and fiddler Máiréad Nesbitt. Five albums have been released under the name "Celtic Woman": Celtic Woman, Celtic Woman: A Christmas Celebration, Celtic Woman: A New Journey, Celtic Woman: The Greatest Journey, and Celtic Woman: Songs from the Heart. The group has undertaken a number of world tours. Cumulatively, albums by Celtic Woman have sold over 5 million records worldwide. The foundation for Celtic music's popularity outside Ireland and Europe was built by tapping into the success of artists such as Enya and Clannad, along with stage shows Riverdance and Lord of the Dance. Celtic Woman has been described as being "Riverdance for the voice."
Being a vocalized singer myself I really love everything about the Celtics. I would love to be apart of something like this group. I do not think that anyone really understands my secret obsession with this group, and I do not know how to talk about it without sounding like a freak… but it is okay. I love everything about singing and acting along with it. If you are not involved in the piece that you are singing, then you can not sing it to the best of your abilities. You have to be one with the song or the audience will not be involved nor will they like the piece you are doing. The Celtic Women have such a way of impacting their audiences. I have never even seen them live and I like them this much, I can not imagine what people who have actually seen them live feel about them.
The Celtic Women have only done three tours within the United States. Mainly they tour throughout Ireland and Europe, because that is where they originates. Most people within the United States have not heard of the Celtics, especially from the small town that I am from. I made my Dad sit down and watch the Celtic Women’s one performance with me that was on television. He complained the entire time about how he hated it and did not want to watch it any longer. Part of this, at least I think, was because he did not want to be open to liking them because it was “un-masculine” and also because my father has no music knowledge history. Although, I think that anyone who genuinely loves music and can appreciate it should have some knowledge of the Celtic Women and how they are making an impact on the music culture of today’s society.

No comments:

Post a Comment